Sunday, November 29, 2015

Gingerbread Coolies Vintage Light by Denise Bailey

This is an electric light I made using a vintage flour sifter as the base. The gingerbread cookies are so easy to make, you don't even need a pattern. I folded two separate squares of homespun to form triangles and placed them inside the inner edge of the sifter and then glued in place. I inserted pip berries for extra eye appeal. There are a total of 7 gingerbread cookies, the top layer of 3 are a little smaller than the first layer of 4. Once everything was in place and adjusted the way I wanted it, I hot glued them so they would stay in place. With a brush, I added some mod podge to the rim of the sifter and sprinkled German glass glitter to that, and also to the handle ( not seen in the photo).

Directions for making Gingerbread Cookies:

round lid, the size of the cookie you'd like ( cookie will be slightly smaller once sewed)

muslin

Trace lid on your muslin with a Mark-B-Gone marking pen, found in craft stores and notions department of WalMart. Draw a straight line about 1 1/2 inches down the center.

Use tracing line as your sewing guide sew the entire circle. Trim seams to about 1/4 inch.

On ONE side of the circle, make a slit where your straight line is, this will be for turning your circle right side out.

Dip your circles in a mixture of instant coffee/vanilla (3T. coffee, 2 T. vanilla) until you get the shade you desire. Squeeze out excess mixture and open circle, do not smooth it out. Place on baking sheet in warm oven ( 180 degrees) and leave door slightly ajar. After a few minutes turn circles over to dry the other side. Watch carefully so they don't burn. This does not take long to dry at all.

Stuff the circles with polyester fiberfill, but not too firm. Slip stitch the opening closed.

With Barn Red acrylic paint and a nice stiff brush, dry brush cheeks on. I like to use foil as my palette. To dry brush, dip brush tip into paint and dab several times on the palette and then in a circular motion apply 'cheeks'. Repeat until you get desired color ( light/darker).

To decorate with 'icing' I tried using the white fabric glue sticks, but I didn't have 'control' of where the icing went so instead I opted to make my own with white acrylic paint and elmers glue. I mixed equal amounts. You can use a thin paint brush to paint the icing on or the tip of a pencil. I have a stylus tool (see photo) and I like to use that as it has two different sized tips.

Let icing dry. Using the tip of a stylus, or pencil add two black dots using black acrylic paint for the eyes. Let dry.

Brush on a thin layer of mod podge ( other glue that dries clear will work too) on top of cookie as shown in photo. Let this dry and you've got yourself a cute little gingerbread cookie.

I purchased a bottle of Gingerbread linen spray and spray my cookies with this. If you are going to use these cookies at a craft show, spray well right before the show starts so your cookie scent will be stronger. Chances are your customers will ask where to get the spray so they can purchase some to restore the scent once it's dissipated.


Copyright © 2006 - All Rights Reserved — Written By Denise Bailey (aka NeeNee) who is a 54 year old mom & grandma who has been crafting for over 34 years for myself and family but only in the last 2 years have been actively crafting for profit via craft shows, eBay and an EZshoppe. My 'specialties' are primitives, country and folkart creations.I also love to create graphics. I was interested in drawing since I was very young, taking art classes all through high school. I always thought I'd go to an art school after graduation, but instead I got married and started a family. Six years ago, I purchased my first computer, and found PSP. I've been hooked since and have taught myself to make my own graphics using PSP's vector & nodes tool. My website is: KKL Primitives .  My Blogs are: The Krazy Kraft Lady and Menopausal Monster .

No comments:

Post a Comment