Saturday, November 01, 2008

How To Build A Snowman FREE Tutorial by Blondie Spence of Vintage Primitives

I thought you might all like to know that Blondie Spence of Vintage Primitives has another wonderful FREE tutorial on her Vintage Primitives blog about creating a painted snowman woodcraft.

Here's what Blondie had to say:



How to Build a Snowman . . .

Last fall I did a really quick and natural tutorial on how to make a wreath. This morning when the birdies were still sleeping, I woke up with an itch to paint something. I decided to share my morning with you. This is an oober simple project. I have used a piece of wood that I actually found! It was with a few others that appeared to be mistakes but worked great for me! Oops, I guess you know now that I like to dumpster dive occasionally.

How to build a snowman:


First find a piece of wood that would hang nicely on your wall. Here's the one that I am re-purposing:



I sanded it smoothly, blew off the dust and proceeded to paint it black



Because I am always in a hurry to finish a project, I used a blow dryer to complete the drying process. Then I used a white colored pencil to draw some eyes like this:



Next step is the fun part. I used an antique white paint and a scruffy brush. I began to pounce around the perimeter in a circle and around the eyes, leaving them black, like this:



Kind of looks like a mask, doesn't it? You can make the eyes in any shape you like, and if you feel like you want more white than I have shown, go for it. I liked this texture for myself. Next two steps are combined because I forgot to take two photos. Told you I was in a hurry!

You want to squirt out some orange for the nose; Take a round brush and make lines down the middle for the nose . . . . and then ~ pounce some of the orange with a bit of the antique white. Pounce on your pad to blend. then make cheeks - it should look something like this:



Next, dip your brush nib into the antique white and make two dots for eyes. You will also need to pour a wee bit more of the black to make the mouth. It should look like this when you have done it:



Next step - we're almost done ~ pour a bit more of the antique white. Using a fine round brush - I don't know what size - whatever fits your hand good - I am not good at knowing what numbers are which with brushes - I paint by the seat of my britches most of the time - Anyhow, I have painted a saying on the sign. You may want to use your white colored pencil to get the spacing right - Here's mine:



Next step is the funnest step of all - Take a toothbrush and dip it in the antique white paint. Using your finger, splay it around for a snowy effect over the snowman and words.

After it's good and dry, seal with a matte sealer, and put a hanger on the back. Voila! easiest project I have done in a while! Enjoy!!


Copyright © 2008 All Rights Reserved - Written By Blondie Spence of Vintage Primitives blog. Blondie is a folk artist, quilter and gardener.

Please visit Blondie's Humble Arts Vintage Primitives shop at http://www.thehumblearts.com/vintageprimitivesselling.html and her Vintage Primitives eBay store at http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=vintageprimitives

No comments:

Post a Comment