Friday, February 01, 2008

Iron On Thread by Kreinik Tutorial by Pat Winter of Gatherings

Iron on thread by Kreinik ... an intro to their use in crazy patch

Kreinik offers an iron-on thread which is really fun to use. My first experience with it led me to introduce it to children to make greeting cards. It was a success. The children had tons of fun and were so delighted to have finished items to share after their session. I haven't seen a lot of use of this thread so I thought I would show you how easy it is to use in hopes that you would give it a try. I am not trying to "sell" for Kreinik, I just like to share something good when I find it. Iron-on threads are a good thing!


You can use your regular iron, by lifting and using the tip. However investing in one of these small irons is worth it. Now I see they offer the irons with different tips too. You will also need a teflon pressing sheet to keep the adhesive from the threads off your iron.

These threads come in many beautiful colors, even glow-in-the-dark, peraps for Halloween costumes? You could decorate a bike shirt for those who pedal at night?


If using the small iron, turn it on high setting. It heats up quickly, so please use the stand it comes with to avoid table top burns. You can draw a simple design onto your fabric or just decide as you go if you are artistic. I use a long quilting pin to hold down my thread so my fingers do not touch the iron. I also cut out small pieces from the Teflon sheet so I can see my thread as I go.


I like to outline my design with a different color and a thicker thread.

Continue following your pattern while pressing down with your iron. I count to five, lift iron, count to five and remove Teflon sheet.

When you come to the end, or want to change colors of thread, simply clip exactly where you want to stop and press. It blends together for a nice finish.


You may fill the area by cutting strips and iron each one next to each other, or just use one length and iron and press turn your direction and continue. Either way looks good.


Iron-on threads come in three sizes and many colors. My favorites are the purple, pink, black, green,and gold. Those would be my basic colors to start with. They also have red, blue, dark green, many golds and copper, silver, and two toned threads.

Crazy quilting uses many stitches, why not try a different approach and use a few iron-on threads in your project? Below is an example I made for CQMagonline showing you can get the embroidery effect without picking up a needle.


Every seam that looks like embroidery stitches is iron-on thread.

By the way, all of the beautiful hand dyed cotton fabrics are by Ellen Anne Eddy. You can check out her site and see what she has available.




Pat Winter's Terms of Use - You may copy and use any information I offer. I share freely in hopes to encourage new interests in crazy quilting. If you use my information for teaching or otherwise,I would appreciate a mention. There are no rules in crazy quilting,so enjoy and play!
Pat Winter

Copyright © 2007 - All Rights Reserved — Written ByPat Winter of Gatherings By Pat Winter. Pat is a published Crazy Quilter from Indiana who loves experimenting with fabrics, glass, charms, beautiful threads and silk ribbon. She is dedicated to sharing her world of crazy quilting with others to help keep this beautiful art form alive.

You can visit her Gatherings blog online at http://www.gatherings100.blogspot.com/.

Pat is also the creator of the "Comfort Dolls Project - Giving With Our Hearts What We Make With Our Hands" at http://www.comfortdolls.blogspot.com/ .

1 comment:

  1. Thank you thank you thank you. This piece is so inspiring to all ages. I can now personally add my signature to the labels on my quilts using this thread. Is it readily available in England? I hope so. This is just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete