Saturday, February 16, 2008

Quick Five Sided Box Tutorial From Kay Susan Warner of S'mockery Blog

Quick Five Sided Box


I just felt that I've got the needle punch machine, I've tried it out and now I need to make something! This quick box is made in just two main pieces; 1 the top and sides and 2, the base.



You make a pattern like a row of equal sized 'beach huts' for the main part, and a pentagon with equal sides that measure the same as the bottom of a single 'beach hut'.



The box is made from a 'sandwich of top fabric, craft or pelmet vilene and felt.



I used a piece of hand dyed muslin for the top fabric and stitched all over it in a grid pattern to hold the layers together. The decorative 'tiles' were made on the embellisher and are patches of silk fabric overlayed onto dark green flannel. I bonded all the layers together to make it easier and that was a mistake on two counts: first, it makes it very stiff and quite difficult to work and secondly you lose the quilted look that you get when you machine onto felt. I managed to needle punch the tiles onto the thick fabric sandwich, (that machine has certainly got some punch!) but I wouldn't try to do it again because the machine did get a bit hot.



I straight stitched over the tiles in a spiral pattern to harmonise them a bit more with the main fabric and edged them with a machine wrapped cord. Then I edged the whole piece by machine zigzaging on some of the same cord around the edges and attached the base with ladder stitch. I wasn't really happy with what I had done, so I buttonholed all around the edges - much better!

Then I added cords with beads and a buttonholed curtain ring for the closure and stitched some pearly buttons onto the top tiles and Hey Presto! This is quite a quick method. It took me longer than it should have done because there was a lot of experimenting with the needle felted tiles and the buttonhole stitching took a while because the fabric was so stiff. If I used this method again I would put a piece of thin card in the base, because the vilene isn't firm enough.

I still prefer the 'old fashioned, traditional' method of covering and lining individual pieces of thick card and then ladder stitching them together but this is a quick, simple method with a minimum of hand stitching and no thick card to cut. There are very clear, easy to follow instructions and lots of good ideas for using this method in this book:



5-Sided Box pattern and ideas from Beginner's Guide to Embroidered Boxes by Janet Edmonds and published by Search Press. Janet Edmonds original pattern and instructions also featured in free projects article in "Stitch" magazine.

Please respect Kay Susan's Terms of Use: My tutorial adaption is for personal, educational and non-commercial use. Reprinting, emailing, downloading, or redistributing my tutorial adaption by any means for commercial use is prohibited.

Kay Susan's Bio: Kay Susan studied Design for Craft and Creative Embroidery at City & Guilds levels 1 and 2 and writes mainly about contemporary embroidery on her S'mockery blog. She also likes to dabble in painting and drawing and has recently become interested in cloth doll making.

Tutorial Adaption Copyright © 2007 - All Rights Reserved - Kay Susan Warner of S'mockery Blog. http://smockery.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment