Monday, October 16, 2006

Press and Seal by Julia Camilleri

Press and Seal is made by the same people that make the Glad products.

Would you believe that it is not available here in Western Australia, although I believe it is available over east from a shop that sells stuff from the states, I don't know the name of the shop, so if anyone out knows please leave me a comment..

Well, this is what I have done with the press and seal.

First I picked out this basket from Carole Samples book of crazy quilting stitches.

Then, I cut out a piece of the press and seal big enough to cover the basket I'm going to trace.
The press and seal has a right and wrong side to it, so make sure you write on the side with the logo on it and not the other sticky side.
Using a blue Sharpie fine point pen I traced the basket,
I only traced off the main outline of the basket, I thought I would fill in the detail later with stitches freehand.

Position the press and seal with the drawing on it onto your block where you would like your basket to be.
There is no need for pins as the press and seal stays in position by the slightly sticky wrong side.
With your chosen thread, embroider over the lines going right through the fabric..

Stem stitch or chain stitch as I have done, the basket shape.
Here I have also stitched in some detail on the basket, but I think it's best to do that later, after the press and seal has been removed.
I soon found that out!
Iris did tell me, it's hard to get out of tiny places if there's too much stitching over it.
I did not think this was too much stitching, but it was enough to make it a little difficult to remove.

When you have finished the stitching..
Starting from the outside, carefully peel away the press and seal, I had to use a pair of tweezers to get it out from underneath the stitching.
You may be able to see, there is still little bits left in there that I will need to get out..

In my opinion..I think it's great!..I would however be careful not to use it on anything to small, and making sure to just do the outlines that are necessary.

Now to fill the basket with SRE flowers...


Copyright © 2006—All Rights Reserved — Written By Julia Camilleri on her "Julia's Place" Blog. For more crafting tips and techniques visit Julia's "Julia's Place" blog. Julia is a seamstress who specializes in crazy quilting, ribbon embroidery, and all things Victorian. She sells her handmade items on her "Ribbonwiz Etsy Shoppe." For more pictures of Julia's creations please visit Julia's Flickr site.

No comments:

Post a Comment